Disable recursive DNS queries (Windows)
For information on recursive DNS, see What risks are associated with recursive DNS queries?.
Note: DNS is not installed by default and will only be running if it has been installed manually. If this is the case, recursive DNS is enabled by default. To perform this procedure, you must be a member of your local computer's Administrators group or have the proper authority delegated to you.
- Log in to your dedicated or Virtual Private Server (VPS) through a Remote Desktop Connection.
- From the Start menu, click Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then DNS.
- In the console tree, right-click the appropriate DNS server, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Server options, check Disable recursion, and then click OK.
- In the console tree, right-click the appropriate DNS server, and then click Clear Cache.